Recording TV Programmes for Educational Use

The University currently holds a licence with the Education Recording Agency (ERA) which permits recordings of broadcasts to be made for non-commercial educational use. The ERA has stated that a 'broadcast' is defined as a transmission for simultaneous and lawful reception by members of the public i.e. it is not encrypted or encoded and is for general reception, unlike pay per view services. The ERA Licence therefore covers scheduled free to air broadcasts on:

  • BBC television and radio (all channels)

  • ITV Network services (including ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4)

  • Channel Four

  • E4, More 4 and Film 4

  • Five Television (including Five, FiveUSA and Fiver)

  • S4C

The Learning Resources Team in Academic Services can organise having an off-air recording made for you - you will need to give them some notice, though. More info here: