The brain and learning
Great post over at Learner Centered Teaching discussing our human survival need for control over our actions and environment and how this impacts on the learning process - where the point is made that the student who feels no control over the learning process may exert their control by not taking part... after which, a number of very pertinent questions are asked about 'who controls the learning process in your classroom?':
Who sets the curriculum?
- Who designs the learning outcomes?
- Who designs the learning environment?
- Who set the attendance, late work or late for class policies?
- Who chooses the textbook?
- Who sets the pace of learning?
- Who determines what feedback is given?
- Who determines the grading system?
- Who determines how information will be taught?