1. Debunking myths
- 10% myth – we use ALL of it, you’d know if you lost 5%
- Left brain/right brain – idea came from WWII veterans with bullet wounds, the two sides are doing different things, it's not as clear cut as the myth makes out
- Brain development is done by age 3 – our whole lives see brain development, including before we are even born
- Girls and boys are the same - not...
2. Knowledge about brain development and functionIn the last decade, we’ve learnt more about brain development than we could imagine would be known. And the implications of this for education are profound.
3. Informed solutions to practical issues:
- Testing not only measures knowledge but also strengthens it
- Exercise – and play - enhances brain development and learning
- Stress undermines learning and alters brain structure ('bad' stress - we do need some stress to stay alert)
- Proper sleep cycles influence brain development and learning
- Learning needs to be a serve and return strategy, not a passive process