Roundup of Guides to Google+
this post, vowing that I will indeed produce a complete guide. However, I have to fess up and say that this particular todo has appeared in my lists on several occasions since that post - and, for shame, has been demoted and deferred each time. So, I'm looking truth hard in the face now and not blinking, when I say that I will NEVER get round to doing it. If I'm honest, it's not only that other priorities HAVE appeared along the way, but I just haven't been using it and don't envisage using it all that much - I didn't learn to love it!
But, there's always a positive, and, well, what's the point in reinventing the wheel - there are loads of resources out there already, so here's a list of some of the most prominent (ie, those that came up on the first page on a google search (there's a second page?)...
- Google+: The Complete Guide - this, from Mashable, is a very extensive look at every aspect of Google+ which is continuously updated to include new initiatives. There are commentary, videos and photos in the guide and I think you might well put a full day aside to go through this, but you'll either be be expert or exhausted by the end of it.
- Google Plus Beginner's Guide from Squidoo offers a step-by-step process for beginners to set up a profile, configure settings, use circles, invite people, and so on. There are quite a few videos, too, so once again, you might want to put a goodly chunk of time aside for this one - but it'll get you up and running.
- The Marketer's Guide to Google Plus by KISSmetrics contains some fabulous advice with clear examples about Google+ and search engine optimisation (SEO), which is how you can get onto that first page of Google search results.
- 12 Google+ Marketing Tips from the Pros by Social Media Examiner is a very clear and accessible presentation of key things you might want to do from a marketing perspective.
- Google+ - the Wordtracker Academy present a whole series of articles and documents showing how to maximise Google+ for business use (including Hangouts, see below).
- A complete guide to creating and optimising Google+ brand pages from RKG is, as you might guess from the title, a fairly specialist tactical guide aimed, again, at SEO (see above). If you're set up already and REALLY want to get your message out there, follow some of the guidance here.
- The Google Plus guide for people who hate Google Plus from Genius Startup - the conceit here is that, well, this is Google after all, so Google+ is going to be important whether we like it or not - here's a guide showing how to use it for best purpose. Nice guide, but actually, remember Google Wave, Buzz..? Not everything Google succeeds and I might well just put my faith in my gut instinct about Google+ in this case :-)