A vegetarian diet is beneficial for both health and the reduction of greenhouse gases - stop eating animals, folks, out of respect for them, for yourself and for the planet! However, only 5% of the UK population is vegetarian, so it's unlikely to change any day soon. Hey ho, 95% of people living on these islands say fuck the animals, fuck the planet and fuck you!
A little less strident, here are six simple rules can make a difference to our health and the planet:
- Eat more plants – enjoy vegetables and whole grains!
- Eat a variety of foods – have a colourful plate!
- Waste less food – one third of food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted.
- Moderate your meat consumption, both red and white – enjoy other sources of proteins such as peas, beans and nuts.
- Buy food that meet a credible certified standard – consider MSC, free-range and fair trade.
- Eat fewer foods high in fat, salt and sugar - keep foods such as cakes, sweets and chocolate as well as cured meat, fries and crisps to an occasional treat. Choose water, avoid sugary drinks and remember that juices only count as one of your 5-a-day however much you drink.